Thursday, February 28, 2013


   I finished knitting these last night and soaked them.  This morning they were just a bit wet still, so unfortunately, I couldn't wear them out today.  I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow... le sigh.

   For the most part I followed the pattern when knitting these, but did have to make some changes to get them to fit and in my opinion look a bit nicer.  For starters, I added a knit round in blue (Palette in Pool) before doing the purl round and continuing to knit the public side of the cuff.  I did this so that I could leave off the icord edging along the cuffs and it prevents the lining yarn from showing through on the right side.  I thought the icord edging looked a bit out of place and too tight on most of the finished projects I have seen, so I left it off.  

   I also re-charted the thumb gusset so it actually has a flower pattern rather than just blocks of colors as charted.  Otherwise, I knit the thumb chart as written.

  To get them to fit, I omitted one band of flowers so the mittens wouldn't come out too long.  I also used a 3 needle BO instead of kitchener to close up the seams (this is my go-to-too-lazy-to-kitchener substitution).  One thing I would change if I were to knit these again or even knit the matching hat is to swap out edamame (the lighter green) for something that stands out against the background color (gosling) better.

   Overall, these were quick knitting when I actually found the time to sit down and work on them.  I generally tend toward being a process knitter, but in this case I'm so glad that these mittens are just for me! 

Pattern: Peerie Flooers Mittens, Kate Davies
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette
Colorways: Pool, Wonderland Heather, Gosling, Edamame, Grass, Semolina, and Victorian

1 comment:

  1. These are wonderful Angela. I love the mods you made!


designed with love by beautiful dawn designs