Tuesday, June 18, 2013

drink the kool-aid

   I recently dipped my toes into the world of dyeing... and had no idea how fun it would be.  I choose what is probably the easiest method ever, which involves: Kool-aid + Crockpot.  Here's what happened.


  I ordered this Wool Clasica half price in one of my elann.com yarn binges.  The color was not exactly what I expected based on the website photo and the colorway name (cirrus), so I was underwhelmed.  In my photo it looks like an icy grey, but in reality the yarn had a bit of a green tinge to it that made it look sort of "off" I guess.  So, I went to the grocery store and bought about a million packs of Kool-aid (and also awkwardly bumped into a former student in the line behind me... while buying a million packs of Kool-aid.  But that's another story). 


   The process is actually really simple.  Cook the yarn in water for a while until it's good and hot.  Mix up your KA colors.  Then dump them in the pot.


   Like so.   
Let the pot cook and pull out the yarn after the water turns clear.  Let it cool a bit, rinse, then hang to dry.    



   Here's my first skein.  It's a mix of greens and teal blue.    


   I also dyed this second skein using black cherry and grape KA.  

Not bad for my first try at dyeing.  Now I can't wait to get my hands on some bare sock yarn.


 

1 comment:

  1. Those are so beautiful! I've been experimenting with dyeing myself, and I think I may try using the crockpot next. The color blending is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs