Friday, April 5, 2013

overloaded

   This week I've been especially productive at work and overall on top of my game (working out in the mornings and going to bed at a decent hour).  This means that during the couple of hours I get to work on a project at the end of the day, it needs to be something extremely uncomplicated.  No lace.  No cables.  No colorwork.  Nothing that actually involves my brain to be present at all.  Which is why I'm glad I happened to cast on a new cardigan late last week.  Lately I haven't kept to my WIP or stash rules, but I think for now, I should work on whatever makes me happy at the moment.  As long as I'm working on something, my stash is shrinking.


       That there is Miriam, a sport weight cardigan that is nothing but garter stitch and stockinette.  The perfect mindless knit.  I'm using Knit Picks Simply Cotton Sport (now discontinued) in Haze Heather, a sort of heathered lavender color, that looks a bit more grown up than the lavender my teenaged self chose as the wall color for my bedroom in my parents house.  I think this piece will be a welcome simple layering piece in my wardrobe.


   I've been knitting for about 4 years now and I've knit many sweaters over that time, but this is my first sweater knit in a smaller gauge yarn than DK.  I'm easily amused by how much drape I'm getting in this fabric simply because of the lighter weight yarn.  


   However, knitting in sport weight is slow going.  Especially, since I have to be careful to not overdo it with the cotton to save my wrists some pain.  That 3 1/2 inch band of garter stitch at the bottom took me 3 days to knit!  I'm not really a fan of knitting garter stitch anyway (I'm a rare purling lover), but I do love how thick and squishy the fabric is.    


   Overall, I love everything about this yarn with one huge caveat. Why must they make the ends so hard to find!  This is a failed attempt to fish the end out of center of the ball.  Instead of finding the end, I managed to make a huge knot somewhere in the center and had to resort to pulling from the outside.  We'll see what kind of mess awaits me when I knit down to the center.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs